Thursday, February 21, 2013

A Sunday Hike



    I feel the tug, especially in this Lenten season, for restful and contemplative moments. While recent days have been hectic and full of distractions, I did manage to get away for a wonderful, short hike with Melissa (my wife) and Dodger (our dog, of course) on Sunday. It was a brisk, dry daynot too shabby for a February weekend. The hike was a familiar one, along a creek with cascading waterfalls of all shapes and sizes. Later at home I flipped through some of Annie Dillard's meditations on creeks, their ability to captivate and draw her into the present moment, scanning for phrases that had surfaced in my memory during our hike. I finally landed on this closing sentence in a particular chapter: "...it is the live water and light that bears from undisclosed sources the freshest news, renewed and renewing, world without end."

    Amen.

5 comments:

Rehoboth said...

Thank you, Daniel. It's a beautiful word picture.

Anna Cotton said...

Daniel, this photo and your description make me wish I was there. And the ending quote by Annie Dillard is perfect: "...it is the live water and light that bears from undisclosed sources the freshest news, renewed and renewing, world without end." It all works together, I think, because you were present to the beauty and shared the good news with us. What a gift! Thanks so much.
--Blessings, Anna

John Orzechowski said...

I can almost hear the babbling creek and smell the late winter crispness of the forest. Thank you for sharing with us.

RC said...

Your walk sounds lovely and special. I wishrd I could have been with there with you, and I felt grateful we were to visit with you a few weeks ago. Your sharing the fruit of this kind of awareness strengthens all of us in it, I think. I feel blessed by the spiritual friendships we share.
--Rickey

Daniel said...

Thank you friends for the thoughtful comments! So thankful for each of you!

Blog Archive