Monday, September 1, 2008

Recognition and Hope

I just finished reading Joan Chittister's Called to Question...a Spiritual Memoir, and am marveling over how much her spiritual journey has in common with the wonderful stories of the pilgrimages I've been reading that are posted on this blog. Her epilogue sums it up:

"The purpose of a book like this..." is "to demonstrate that we all change and struggle and develop as we go. The notion that the spiritual life is something we achieve gets little support here. The spiritual life is something we seek every day of our lives....a journey of ever increasing depth and circularity. We deal with [major questions] over and over again...understanding them differently, learning from them more, dealing with them better.... ...growing is both the same, and distinct, for all of us. Whatever the dark uncertainty of the spiritual journey, the sometimes barbed unquiet that comes with real questions, may you carry within you without fail the promise of the One who says, 'Seek and you shall find.'"

I've been blessed, encouraged, and uplifted by the transparency of all of your struggles, victories, and persistence in your seeking of the spiritual life. I've also related to much of where you all have been, and participate in the hope of each of you.

I suggested to Sarah that one of my first posts was my contribution to this project, but she gave me a teacher look that gave me to understand that it was no such luck. So, at some point (hopefully not too long from now) I will post something dealing more with the details of my spiritual journey.

Susan Price

3 comments:

RC said...

Susan, I really like Joan Chittister's writing, and your quote from her was very relevant to our community stories. I look forward to when you add to your earlier sharing along these lines. I'm grateful for your investing and sharing!
--Rickey

living stones said...

Susan, You certainly chose an amazing quote from Joan Chittister. It is particularly meaningful to me personally at this time..."we deal with (major questions) over and over again...understanding them differently, learning from them more, dealing with them better..." I'm experiencing the truth of these words on a daily basis. Thank you so much for sharing, and I am looking forward to more of your reflections. Anna

Daniel said...

What a great quote! Thanks for sharing.

Blog Archive