Saturday, March 21, 2009

Life passing by in a blur

"It is so easy to come to believe that what we do is so much more important that what we are. It is so easy to simply get too busy to grow." Joan Chittister OSB



I began reading Chittister's Wisdom Distilled from the Daily: Living the Rule of St. Benedict Today last week. Friday morning this quote hit me hard. This school year has felt so very much like the life that this describes. I understand that 50-60 hour weeks are in the nature of teaching, but it also seems to be the way that so many people live in general. I can no longer live at this pace, and am stepping down from full time teaching at the end of the school year.

So many things that God has given me delight in doing for Him had to be set aside this year. Even worse, so much that I wanted to learn from God has been also put off for the last four years in the busy-ness of my life, and that saddens me. I expect to find something to do to help pay the bills, but am hoping, praying that the Lord will help me to keep focused on Him, and what He is interested in making me to be.

Susan Price

3 comments:

RC said...

Susan, this is very powerful. I really admire your decision, and I join with you in "praying that the Lord will help [all of us] to keep focused on Him, and what He is interested in making [us] to be." thank you for your example and for sharing with us.
--Rickey

living stones said...

Susan, What a great quote, but more than that, what a courageous choice! I'm challenged and inspired--thanks so much. I'm asking the Lord "to help you find something to do to pay the bills" even as you ask for "help to keep focused on Him." Blessings--Anna

John Orzechowski said...

Susan, thank you for this reminder. One of my professors is always telling us that in spite of our situation as over-worked/stressed students, we need to find ways to orient ourselves so that we have some fulfillment and appreciation for life. In other words, she says that we cannot keep putting life off to some later date. Easier said than done, of course, but I admire your determination not to just let life pass by without being present to it.

Blog Archive